Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The start of it all


Hello world!

I've decided to start blogging as an additional tool to keep me on track and accountable for the choices that I am making regarding nutrition and fitness.

Up until the beginning of the year, I was living a fast food lifestyle. After weighing in at a significantly higher weight each time that I stepped on the scale, I realized that it was time to change my lifestyle.

I've been a Sparkpeople.com member for a few years now, which has really drilled the fact that this is a lifestyle change and not a diet into my head. I made small changes at first, like completely cutting out Dr.Pepper and Coke, which were two of my daily addictions. It has been nearly a year without them now, and I don't think I'll ever go back to that.

My next baby step was to slowly start eating at home instead of eating out. The difficulty that I faced with that is that although I am married, my husband works the opposite shift that I do, so we never have meals together. I had convinced myself that because of that, I could justify both of us just eating fast food and going about our days.

Starting in June, my husband and I did a one week challenge with ourselves to eat at home, and it worked! We made a weekly grocery shopping day, planned dinners that I could cook and refrigerate for him, and it sort of caught on.

We've been doing this quasi healthy(ier) eating for a couple of months now, and I'm just ready to take it a step further and kick my weight loss into gear.

So here are the numbers:

I need to lose 80lbs. (Oh god, I hate writing that)
I want to do it in 10 months, which means I need to lose 8lbs a month. This is definitely a healthy pace for my current weight.

Here are the issues:
PCOS and Insulin Resistance (I don't lose weight as easily as some people, and I have to be super careful with what I'm eating)
Laziness (Yep, I'm adding that because it is definitely an issue)

Here is the plan:
1400-1750 calories per day, as calculated by Sparkpeople.
Low carbish (No bread & grain, but I will still eat fruit and natural sugars)
Unprocessed foods as much as possible (No frozen lunches, artificial sweeteners, preservatives)

I'm going to be using this blog as a sort of journal/tracker/inspiration keeper.

Thanks for reading world (or one lonely person who randomly came across this), I'll be back soon!

<3 Carisa

No comments:

Post a Comment