Monday, September 24, 2012

Jealousy at the gym

I stuck to my commitment to go to the gym right after work today, and I'm so glad that I did. I feel like I'm on the right track here, and if I just focus one step at a time, I believe that being healthy will become a habit.

While I was strolling along on my treadmill, breaking a sweat at just 3.4, I happened to glance at a girl just to the side and one row in front of me, and notice that she was running smoothly and confidently at a 7. 7! She must have been going along like that for quite some time, as I switched machines after 20 minutes and she was still going strong.

In everything that I do in my regular life, I'm super competitive. When it comes to work, gaming, and life in general, I like to be in first place. Watching this girl sweat it out and LOOK GOOD while running at a 7 on the treadmill immediately sparked some jealousy.

I don't know this girl at all, don't know her background, and don't know how long it has taken her to get up to a 7. I do know that at my measly 3.4 (4.5 at the highest) we are just in different leagues completely as far as fitness.

I don't want to be stuck in the fat league anymore. Stuck feeling like I'm going to die just from walking from the car to the gym dressing room. I think that I'm just done with all of that.

My aim for this week is to be inspired by Ms.Fit, and not insanely jealous. I'm going to use her strength as a place to aim for, and not as something to make me feel ashamed of my own progress.

We all have our own paths to walk (or run, as it were) and this week I'm going to focus on competing with myself, and not with other people.


-HappyHealthyThin


No comments:

Post a Comment